Monday, October 03, 2011


Hard to imagine, but there was a time when library shelves did not contain children’s books about cancer, I was told the mommy in Tickles Tabitha’s Cancer-tankerous Mommy was just too mean, and the Tickles Tabitha character would not have been invited to a public school because talking about cancer to elementary kids was still taboo. Videos like this one would have been deemed inappropriate.

All that and more are some of the things I shared with audience members at the Apex Chamber of Commerce Women’s Networking Event, where I was invited to be guest speaker and we kicked off breast cancer awareness month a few days early.  Check out Becca’s Blog on Sept. 28th for more info.

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month.  In 1994, I was 34 years old when I found a lump in my breast and was diagnosed with breast cancer. 


At my house, along with the traditional orange, I drag out the pink pumpkin jack-o-lanterns to celebrate the significance of the month.  October also celebrates the 11th anniversary of Nutcracker Publishing Company, and ten years since Tickles Tabitha’s Cancer-tankerous Mommy was launched on the Rosie O Donnell talk show in honor 
of Breast Cancer Awareness Month in October 2001.

My pink pumpkins hold the pink ribbons and book marks I take with me as I promote Breast Cancer Awareness.

Are y'all ready for October?  





No comments: